Older Adult Ministries Resources
Familiar resources available through the work that our Task Force on Older Adult Ministry created can be found at: www.episcopalchurch.org/page/older-adult-ministries.
A teaching series for the community on caregiving and dementia using resources from Sterling University and Washington University (see below) is currently underway.
In regard to resources for caregiver’s there are some excellent ones from the Dementia Center at Sterling University and Washington University (see below ).
I. Sterling University – Dementia Care Center DVD’s – all of excellent quality
· The relationship between the brain and behavior in dementia
· Coping with dementia for caregiver’s – includes interview with caregivers, their stories, and what they learned to do
· Managing challenging behaviors of dementia – good illustrations and instructions
· Communicating with compassion – tips on ways to communicate with someone suffering from dementia
II. Washington University – Center on Aging – Training DVD
· Managing and understanding behavioral problems in Alzheimer’s and related disorders – training program
Regarding the positive side of aging – we have the resource of the series we did at the Cathedral on Living with Vitality and Grace – other ideas are below
III. Series on Living with Vitality and Grace – these DVD’s are at the Cathedral – the series had six presentations – positive side of aging
IV. Books– The Gift of Years: Growing older Gracefully, Ram Dass’s DVD’s “Conscious Aging”
V. Movies – A list of movies and documentaries that would be good for formation is in progress
Aging Is Changing
A congregational resource for ministry with and by older adults
Amazon.com has an extensive list of End of Life and Hospice books, as does Google.